Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Beginning of Something New

Today is the beginning of something new.

I asked my husband, who's very health conscious, to help me come up with a new eating plan so that I wouldn't have to think about food so much, and so that I would know that I was eating the right things. Also, I want to drop some more weight, and this is the best possible way (coupled with regular exercise). It's not a "diet," it's a new way of looking at food.

Here's the plan:

5 am
Breakfast
-3 egg whites
-peppers, tomatoes, spinach
-blueberries (1 serving)

7-8 am
Snack #1
-small tuna pack
-small apple

10-11 am
Lunch
-4 oz. poultry
-veggies

1-2 pm
Snack #2
-almonds (1 serving)

4-5 pm
Dinner
-4 oz. poultry or fish
-veggies

7-8 pm
Snack #3
-cottage cheese (1 serving)
-celery

All of this should be coupled with at least 8 cups of water a day (thank goodness for my 32 oz. Nalgene water bottle!). Also, I still get my delicious post-workout fruit and protein smoothie. I forgot to mention before that I'm also allowed coffee and tea on this plan, as long as I don't add any sweeteners (I don't want to add sugar-substitutes because of possible negative health effects). I can, however, add a little milk (which is delicious in coffee and some tea!). This plan, coupled with the multivitamin I already take, and my workout schedule (which is becoming more solid, finally) I know will give me the results I want. 

I want to be able to wear shorts, or a bathing suit, or a tank top, and not feel uncomfortable. I don't wanna go around in clothes that are inappropriate, but I do want to be able to wear summer clothes without feeling like everyone's staring, thinking, She should not be wearing that.

I want to be healthy, fit, and comfortable in my own skin. So, when I say this is the beginning of something new, I mean to stick to it so that those things can be possible.


Breakfast today! It was delicious, 
and I didn't feel like
crap after I ate it. Success!

*UPDATE!*

Yesterday was my first day on the new diet, and it was great! Every time I started to feel a little hungry, it was time for another snack or meal! I used my Fitness Pal on my phone, and my daily calories were almost exactly 1200! The smoothie (strawberry banana from Starbucks) was 300 calories, but I burned 203 calories on the elliptical and did weights for my arms yesterday. Without the smoothie (and without the exercise), I would've come in at just under 1200 calories for the day (I think). I'll be able to tell for sure this weekend, as I don't go to the gym on Saturdays or Sundays, so my calorie count will only include food.

When I told Vince the plan he came up with was almost right at 1200 calories (my goal, not his), he said he was gonna do a little dance. (I'm still waiting for said dance.) I also told him that a few people were thinking about doing this menu (or one like it) too! If anyone else gave this a shot, I'd love to hear about it, and so would he. Thanks to everyone for all the love and support!

7 comments:

  1. Lindsey, the more we get to know each other the more I wonder if we were separated at birth! I can definitely relate with this. I like this meal plan, I might give it a try myself. Maybe the fruit would help kill my love for horrible, sugar-laden desserts.

    I just want you to know that I understand your need to be healthy, and I think you look great right now! I have never thought you should not have been wearing something. Instead, I find myself thinking I wish I looked like you so I could wear those cute things, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were separated at birth, and now we're together again! Kind of like the Parent Trap, minus one of us being British (I could totally fake a British accent though)!

      I think the fruit in the morning DEFINITELY helps curb those cravings. I've had my blueberries and my apple, and I haven't craved cookies/chocolate/cake yet today. Normally, that's ALL I crave!

      I really appreciate that compliment! It's funny how we see ourselves differently than others see us. Because I think YOU are beautiful! And that you can wear whatever you want and make it look wonderful.

      Maybe we can help keep each other accountable on eating healthy, good-for-us foods, and working out. =]

      <3

      Delete
  2. I wish I could fake any kind of accent! I will definitely be trying more fruit, then! Anything to help me stay away from sugar.

    Oh, thank you! I just love you, Lindsey!

    And, I think accountability with each other sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be sure to keep your fruit all in the morning, so your body can use that sugar throughout the day, rather than store it! I get most of my cravings at night (unfortunately), but I think getting sugar in the morning will help. It'll give you energy for the day, and keep your blood sugar levels up!

      Delete
  3. I SO need to do this too! My eating has NOT been clean and if it weren't for the exercise, I'd be gaining weight right now! Is he going to make you a couple of menus so you don't get bored? I get bored easily, but mom can eat the same thing everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm sticking with this one, and then I'll get him to change it up after I've established a good pattern of eating every few hours (probably a week or so and I'll ask for a new one).

      I get bored with food, but it takes a few weeks!

      If you do this, let me know how you like it! I may have to modify it if it's not enough/too much food. I'll know tonight whether or not it'll change.

      I didn't realize how much junk I was eating until I looked at this menu and compared it to my every day eating habits! AH!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear all this! :)

    I'm no nutritionist (just a biology geek with a fondness for cooking) but it looks like you've got a great plan here, with balanced proteins and necessary fats (people keep forgetting that we NEED a little fat in our systems, haha).

    Remember: in greek, the word 'diaeta' means a perscribed way of life. In America, it happens too often that people go on a diet, lose the weight, and then go back to their old ways and gain it all back. I know you don't have that little self control, so i'm not really worried that that could happen to you, but it's a cautionary tale to keep in mind.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete